Monday night insomnia can often breed the finest of blog posts, so here's what I've been up to:
This weekend was the quintessential Clemson Summer Weekend. Tony threw himself a birthday party (narcissist) and kept with last year's extremely successful theme of Margaritaville. Since there are few things I love in life more than Jimmy Buffet songs and tequila, I was quite pleased. However, the combination of the daunting caloric value of said margaritas and an overly motivated sorority sister landed me at Fike around 1:00 p.m. on Saturday. I generally only grace that state-of-the-art recreation center with my presence when I'm shaking my thang at Zumba. There is no Zumba on Saturday afternoons. Emily. Made. Me. Run. RUN. If you know me, you know there is nothing okay with that. I have always been physically incapable of such an activity. This is why I quit all sports and used to make my only B's in gym class. Being a red-headed freckly kid often goes hand-in-hand with allergies and severe exercise-induced asthma. Therefore, I restrict all forms of exercise to dance. While Zumba has been making me feel great lately, we ate Todaro's on Friday night and were about to drink hundreds of margarita calories. I was feeling chipper so I let Emily get all personal trainer on me and kick my butt. I did 2.5 miles on the treadmill (1.5 of which I ran...1 of which I ran without stopping!) This sounds like a small feat, but I think that is the first time in my life I've ever ran an entire mile without stopping to walk or have an asthma attack. I feel like a contestant on Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. I literally wanted to die. But I just kept running. I don't know what came over me. After running Emily taught me how to use all of the different weight machines. It is now Tuesday at 12:03 a.m. and I am still incredibly sore. We then did crunches, planks, wall-sits, all things miserable. Just when I thought I could finally stretch, she made me get back on the treadmill to "cooldown" for 2 laps. HOW IS A TREADMILL A COOLDOWN? Surprisingly, it was not as bad as I anticipated it to be. I've even considered going there after work tomorrow if I get out early enough to try it all on my own. Buh-bye PastaPudge.
Anyway, Margaritaville 2 was extremely successful. I brought a giant container of margaritas in the form of a water cooler that you see gatorade in at a youth soccer game. Gettin' those electrolytes. We sang Jimmy Buffet and danced on chairs and had a grand old time. Tony's car even got lovingly decorated for his 21st:
The next day Kirstie and I spent the entirety of the morning, afternoon, and evening watching movies on TBS. Legally Blonde, Mean Girls...the classics.
Today was such a Mondayish Monday. I worked from 9-4:30 which is something I almost never do since I finish my work so quickly, but I was bombarded today. I kind of liked it though. I'm trying to get in the 9-5 mindset for my new job in Greenville. I also got to attend a super-important Student Affairs meeting about the new Student homepage Clemson is building. I was the only student there so I got to give a lot of input and also incorporate my work with OrgSync into it. I broke the news to my boss that I will be working at DNA Creative Communications in Greenville 3 days a week this fall. I figured she would automatically think that was too many hours for me to continue working with her, but she still wants me to stay on board. It would be 160 hours over the course of the fall semester, and I would only have Tuesdays and Thursdays to complete those hours. Not to mention...I am a student and class is somewhat of a requirement for me. But if she can get approval for me to work from home and be flexible about my hours, I would be so happy to have two internships. I really love my job now, and the thought of passing on all of my OrgSync work to someone new is kind of upsetting. I actually feel like I've done something new that has made an impact on new students. I'm also so excited to start my new internship at DNA. Amy has worked there since last January, and she absolutely loves it. I'm excited to gain some real world experience outside of Clemson. I'm not so excited about driving to Greenville Monday, Wednesday, Friday, but it will be worth it for the experience. Hopefully Sugarplum Saturn can keep trucking along for the next year of my life.
I'm feeling back to my normal self. I'm starting to accept the fact that I'm in America and although I'm trying to add some of that Italian flair into my attitude, I do have responsibilities. And I have worked really hard to get where I am. So even though I will complain all semester about working until 5 on Fridays while my friends are at the pool, I know it's going to pay off. It has to.
No comments:
Post a Comment