Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Here It Is...

The "Oh My God I'm A Senior And It's Almost Time To Grow Up So I Should Write About It But Sorry It Won't Be As Entertaining As My Italy Blog" blog.

But I figured, if so many people faithfully followed my 4 month mad-dash through Europe, why not keep writing? I love that I have my Frolicking Through Europe blog to look back on. It might be just as fun to read about my Senior year of college someday when I'm forty.

I'm living in Clemson this summer. Clemson is arguably my favorite place in the world. It's no Italy, but it's the first place I've ever truly felt like myself. I can't lie though, I've been having trouble settling back into my old life. I got all of the weirdness of driving out of my system when I drove 14 hours down here by myself in May, but other things just don't seem right. Still. On July 13th. The pristine newness of my apartment building. The screens on my windows. The price of EOOV, fresh mozzarella, and WINE. The sound of the English language. The persistent American pressure to get an internship, get straight A's, get a good job, get married, and play my entire life by the rules.

I don't want to play by the rules anymore. When I was in Italy, I realized that's all I've ever known how to do. I've done everything just as every perfect child is supposed to, and 100% of that pressure to be perfect came from me. My parents are the opposite of strict and overbearing. It's all me. Italy made me realize I need to stop that nonsense. Life is about living, not rule setting. And while I'm still starting to ease back into my old ways, I know it's only temporary. I have two interviews this week for fall internships. And although I've already had to completely erase one job position from my resume because it no longer fit, I still deem this incredibly necessary to my future success. But once I complete that internship, get those straight A's, and have that diploma in my hands, I'm done playing by the rules.

I've made a promise to myself that I will apply for any job that interests me. The more traveling it involves, the better. If it's in California, so be it. I will do my best to not become a bleach blonde or organic granola girl. If it's in Chicago, I'll buy a coat. If it's in Europe, I'll jump for joy. If it's in Texas, I'll fall in love with a cowboy. If it's in Boston, I'll become a Bruins fan. If it's in New Jersey...well never mind that idea.

The point is, before Italy I was dead set on my post-grad plans. Charlotte or Atlanta. Perfect 2 hour driving distance so I can come back for every home football game. And while I love and appreciate this college town more than words can express, I know now that there is a world out there. Clemson will always be here for me to come home to. While I'm young, I need to set myself free.

Now, knowing that my boundaries are practically nonexistent, I intend to make this the greatest year of my college experience so far. And while it may be hard to top the innocence of freshman year, establishment of sophomore year, and worldliness of junior year, I'm confident it will outshine them all. And I don't want to forget a single second of it. So here, one month away from the start to this milestone of a year, I will being writing. If not for others to enjoy, then at least for myself. So that when I'm forty I can remember what it's like to be a college kid on the brink of the rest of her life.

I hope you like it. And if you've never been to Clemson before, you're about to learn a whole lot about Southern Things 'n Senior Rings. 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment